Friday, June 5, 2009

Distributed Power Management on x3850

While working at a customer site I have been working on setting up Distributed Power Management, DPM is an experimental feature delivered through VMware ESX 3.5 and vCenter 2.5. While having some problems with the configuration I had two goals. I wanted to keep redundancies within the current configuration and wanted to comply to the goals of the customer, which was as Green as possible.

To get the redundancy I created a single vSwitch with two portgroups one for the Service Console and one the VMotion port, with each a difference VLANs configured. At both portgroup an active physical NIC was attached which was standby on the other portgroup. My first goals was reached.

To get the second goal I selected the first internal NIC at the ESX host and configured this one attached to the VMotion portgroup. Within the portgroups I configured the auto negotiation as on the Cisco switch to. The reason for this is that is that the used NIC only support wake-on-LAN at 10 or 100 Mbit and not at 1 Gbit.

More info can be found at the following URL: http://tinyurl.com/r8bwth

No comments: